The province offers a splendid historical park and old temples in the provincial capital, peaceful beaches, cool caves, a superb nature reserve, and a great variety of fresh seafood.
Phetchaburi serves as a major stop for sightseeing before continuing down south by road or rail to the beach resorts of Southern Thailand, or as a very worthwhile destination in itself.
The province offers a splendid historical park and old temples in the provincial capital, peaceful beaches, cool caves, a superb nature reserve, and a great variety of fresh seafood. Phetchaburi occupies an area of 6,225 sq. km., characterized by thick jungles and mountain ranges in the west along the border with Myanmar, and a coastal plain with an 80 km. coastline on the Gulf of Thailand to the east. Phetchaburi, an outpost of the Khmer empire and an important royal fort during the Ayutthaya period, is a historic town which retains some fine old temples and boasts a beautiful royal palace.
Phra Nakhon Khiri
In a beautiful setting upon wooded hills stands the summer palace of King Rarna IV. Built in 1860, it was named Phra Nakhon Khiri Palace, but local people usually call it “Khao Wang”. It consists ‘of royal halls, temples and other buildings, constructed mostly in harmonious Thai, Western neoclassical and Chinese architectural styles. The Phra Nakhon Khiri Museum on the western hilltop exhibits royal paraphernalia of King Rama IV and King Rama V, decorative sculptures, and ceramics from China, Japan and Europe. To reach the hilltop, one can either walk or take a rail ride.
Khao Bandai It
This 121 m. hill just 2 km. south of Khao Wang is the site of an ancient temple of the Ayutthaya Period. Within the hill are several caves.
Tham Khao Luang
Located within a hill 5 km. north of Khao Wang, this impressive cave houses several Buddha images, including one placed by King Rama V. At the foot of the hill is a large temple called Wat Tham Kleap or Wat Bun Thawi which has a very large hail and a chapel with beautifully carved door panels.
Wat Mahathat Worawihan
This old temple is situated by Phetchaburi River in the town centre. There is a five-topped pagoda constructed in accordance with the Mahayana concept housing Buddha relics. The stucco designs on the Vihara and the Ubosot reflect the excellent skill of local craftsmen.
Wat Yai Suwannaram
This important temple in the town, 1 km. east of the city hail, features a windowless main shrine hail with magnificent 300- year-old mural paintings. The multi-purpose hall, once located in Ayutthaya’s Grand Palace, is entirely built of teak and decorated with fine carving, especially on the door panels. The hail also houses a preaching throne with intricate woodcarving and gilt work in the Bangkok style.
Wat Kamphaeng Laeng
This temple, situated in the town, was originally a Khmer place of worship. It was later turned into a Buddhist temple and a shrine hail was constructed. However, its original look is still dominant due to its sandstone walls and four Khmer-style pagodas.
Phra Ram Ratchaniwet
This palace of European architectural style, originally called Wang Ban Puen, is situated in the south of the town. King Rama V commanded it built as a rainy season palace in 1916. It was used to welcome and accommodate state visitors during the reign of King Rama VI.
|< Prev||Next >|